art & mental health – panel discussion
ART & MENTAL HEALTH – PANEL DISCUSSION
26th June 2014 @ the London College of Fashion
The panel discussion will explore the relationship between the arts and mental health disorders. Issues such as the belief that creativity is related and conducive to mental health or the therapeutic character of the arts on people who suffer from mental ill health will be covered. The discussion will include specialists from the fields of art, science and art education. Charles Walker MP a campaigner in fighting the social stigma surrounding mental ill health will add to the discussion by covering topics relating to mental health policy and initiatives.
Panelists (In alphabetical order)
- Charles Walker MP – MP for Broxbourne and campaigner on mental health issues.
- Dr David O’Flynn – Consultant Rehabilitation Psychiatrist at Lambeth and the Maudsley Hospitals, and Chair of the Adamson Collection Trust.
- Paul Fryer – Artist participating in the ‘Out of Our Heads’.
- Robin Wight – Chairman of the Engine Group, former Chairman of Arts & Business and Founder of the Ideas Foundation educational charity for young people.
- Vassiliki Tzanakou – Director and Co-curator of ‘Out of Our Heads’.
- The event will be introduced by Professor Charlotte Hodes, Professor in Fine Art and Acting Associate Dean for Research, LCF, and chaired by James Putnam, Senior Research Fellow Exhibitions, LCF, Co-curator of ‘Out of Our Heads’.
Photos by Gido Karow www.hollywoodroadstudio.co.uk